Sun, 05 Apr 2020

2 new PUIs for COVID-19 recorded in NegOr

Philippine Information Agency
20 Feb 2020, 15:38 GMT+10

DUMAGUETE CITY, Feb. 17 (PIA) -- Two new cases of Persons Under Investigation (PUIs) for corona virus (COVID-19) were recorded in Negros Oriental today.

The Provincial Public Information Office (PPIO) announced this through an advisory posted at the official Facebook page of the provincial government this morning.

The new PUIs are a Belgian and Filipino couple who came from Wuhan, China.

They were admitted at the Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital (NOPH) as of yesterday.

Provincial Public Information Officer Bimbo Miraflor clarified in the said advisory that the couple are not from Negros Oriental.

"Naabot sila sa Pilipinas niadtong Enero 31. Miadto sa Bohol ug Siquijor unya mianhi sa Dumaguete. Sa pagka-karon adunay sintomas sa ubo ug pag-arat sa tunlan. Bisag pa og nilapaw na sila sa 14-day incubation period apan tungod sa gipakita na sintomas mi abiso ang Department of Health (DOH) nga isulod sila sa NOPH para mahatagan ug maayong medical na pagtagad (They came in the country on Jan. 31. They went to Bohol and Siquijor then transferred to Dumaguete. As of now, they showed coughing and sore throat. Even though the 14-day incubation period has lapsed, DOH decided to confine them at NOPH so they will be provided with proper medical attention)," Miraflor said.

He added the nasopharyngeal specimen taken from the two PUIs were already sent to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) for confirmatory tests for COVID-19.

In a separate advisory issued at 6:00 p.m. today, the PPIO shared the travel itinerary of the couple.

On Jan. 22, the couple travelled to Wuhan to VietNam and booked a flight back to Wuhan supposedly on Jan. 30 but the city is on lockdown.

On Jan. 31, they booked a flight from VietNam to Manila.

On Feb. 1, the couple flew from Manila to Bohol and on Feb. 10, they went to Siquijor.

The two PUIs came to Dumaguete on Feb. 16.

As of this writing, members of the media are still waiting for information regarding the two new PUIs from the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS).

Last week, all nine PUIs confined at NOPH were already given discharge orders after they tested negative from corona virus based on the swab tests conducted by RITM.

The first eight PUIs who were put at the isolation room at NOPH since Feb. 3 were discharged as of Feb. 11 while the ninth PUI, who was admitted on the same day, got the discharge orders on Feb. 14.

The ninth PUI had a travel history in Hong Kong and experienced coughing but also tested negative for the virus based on the swab tests.

In a separate briefing on Feb. 12 at the Provincial Capitol, Gov. Roel Degamo explained the PUIs were allowed to go home without the results from the second confirmatory tests conducted by RITM provided that they are assessed by the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (PESU) and were cleared from any symptoms associated from the virus.

So far, the Provincial Health Office has not received the results of the second round of confirmatory tests.

Meanwhile, Degamo also disclosed that there are only four individuals classified as Persons Under Monitoring (PUMs) who are currently being monitored in Bayawan City for having travel history in Taiwan and they are expected to complete their 14-day prescribed quarantine period tomorrow.

Degamo also said there are around 10 PUMs and PUIs who availed of the P5,000 cash assistance from the provincial government.

He also encouraged others to complete the requirements posted at the official Facebook page of the provincial government before they file their claims at the Capitol.

Degamo gave his assurance to the public in the said press briefing that the province is generally safe from the threats of the virus.

"I can assure the people that we are safe and we will continue to fight and to prevent this virus na makapasok sa Negros Oriental (to prevent the entry of virus in Negros Oriental)," Degamo told local reporters.

He also thanked the public for cooperating with the provincial government's advisories in relation to COVID-19.

He urged the public to adhere to the health advisories issued by DOH to protect them from acquiring the virus. (ral/PIA7-Negros Oriental)

Sign up for China News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!